Feminist Job Description
||Colorado Consumer Health Initiative
The Colorado Consumer Health Initiative (CCHI) is a member- based nonprofit nonpartisan 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to ensuring barrier-free access to quality affordable health care for all Coloradans. CCHI brings a unified statewide voice for reform by engaging, educating, and empowering consumers and advocacy organizations to transform the healthcare system.
Under supervision of the Policy Director, the Policy Associate provides support to CCHI on policy, legislative, and regulatory issues, including advocacy, lobbying, education, research, and analysis. The Policy Associate works with the Policy Director and the Public Policy Committee of CCHI to develop organizational positions and a proactive advocacy agenda. The Policy Associate works seamlessly with CCHI?s Strategic Engagement Program to promote the goals and objectives of the organization and its members.
All CCHI staff work closely in a team environment to carry out the mission and goals of the organization. The Policy Associate, under the guidance and supervision of the Policy Director, is part of CCHI?s policy team. Current CCHI policy priorities include outreach, education and enrollment for the new health insurance marketplace, rate regulation and review, and payment and delivery system reform; experience in these areas will strengthen a candidate?s application. Primary responsibilities of the Policy Associate are as follows:
- Monitor and analyze emerging healthcare legislation, policy,
and regulations at the state and federal levels related to CCHI?s mission and strategic goals.
- Work with the Policy Director and the Public Policy Committee
to develop proactive priorities for each legislative session.
- Assist in developing bill language, strategies, and
sponsorship for bills.
- Maintain tracking system for bills and proposed policies and
- Educate and lobby legislators and other policymakers on
CCHI?s healthcare policy positions.
- Help convene the healthcare advocacy community to set
priorities, develop and implement campaign plans, evaluate success, and ensure strategic cooperation.
- Provide regular and timely health policy updates to members.
- Respond to member requests for information and analysis.
- Develop fact sheets and alerts on policy issues for members
- Attend meetings of member organizations to present policy
- Support CCHI's Public Policy Committee and its co-chairs.
- Assist with mobilizing membership when action is needed on
- Assist in developing education, outreach, and training
materials on health policy.
- Present at conferences and other events to educate and
empower consumers about healthcare access and policy.
- Research and analyze health policy issues and present them
to members and consumers.
- Represent CCHI?s policy positions with partners and allied
- Serve on and/or attend meetings of task forces, steering
committees, commissions, and other policy and rule making bodies to advocate for CCHI positions and consumer perspective.
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders and
constituencies working on healthcare policy.
- Assist in developing messaging and communications on
- Capitalize on strategic opportunities to advocate for CCHI's
campaign priorities and other coalition efforts.
The preferred candidate will have demonstrated skills and experience in the following areas:
- Communication and public speaking skills, including
traditional and new media experience.
- Strong background in health policy, research, and analysis,
particularly in the private insurance market.
- Established relationships with legislators and/or policy
makers, with preferably some lobbying experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively and build consensus to carry
out membership priorities.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately, meet deadlines, and
- Work well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of integrating field, policy, and development
into issue campaigns.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a full time, exempt position that reports to the Policy Director. Salary range is $37,000 - $47,000, depending on qualifications and experience. CCHI provides full benefits (health, dental, disability) and a competitive leave package.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action CCHI is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is working to expand the communities we serve and represent. We strongly encourage applicants from communities, constituencies, and identities that are under-represented in health
care advocacy, including but not limited people of color,
people with disabilities, low-income people and LGBT people.
Submit a resume and a cover letter of no more than three pages in which you respond to the following:
1. What is one of the critical issues affecting federal health care
reform implementation in Colorado?
2. Describe how you have helped a group with disparate views
reach consensus on a divisive issue.
3. How has your previous experience prepared you to be
successful in this position?
This position will remain open until filled; initial review of applications will begin on February 28, 2013. Please mail or email only, no faxes.
CCHI Policy Associate Search
1536 Wynkoop Street #102
Denver, CO 80202
||Feb 28 2013 12:00AM
Back to Feminist Job Listing
Page to a Friend
Subscribe to the Feminist Career Center