Exposing Fake Clinics: Step-By-Step
1. Know the Facts
- Make sure your group studies up on fake clinics! See our fact sheet and online resources at feministcampus.org.
- Contact your National Choices Campus Organizer. We can help you implement the campaign on your campus!
- Visit www.optionline.org or www.lifecall.org to find out if a CPC exists near your campus. (Note: These are
- anti-choice websites with locations of CPCs.)
- If there is a CPC near your campus, your group can call or visit the CPC to see what they say about abortion and birth control. Do they offer abortion as an option for an unplanned pregnancy? Do they offer condoms, EC, and/or birth control? Does their website make false claims like, “abortion causes breast cancer, infertility, suicide, or post-abortion syndrome?”
2. Know Your Campus
- Visit your Campus Health Center. Does your Health Center know about CPCs? Where would they refer a student facing an unintended pregnancy? Do they include CPCs on their referral lists?
- Does a CPC advertise on your campus? Check out your campus newspaper, billboards, cafeteria, and informational kiosks for “Worried? Pregnant? Call XXX-XXXX” ads or flyers.
- Create educational flyers and posters identifying nearby comprehensive women’s health clinics and warning students about the fake clinics in your area.
- Work to establish “Truth in Advertising” policies on your campus or its media and require your Campus Health Center to tell students that abortion and contraceptive services are not available at CPCs during referrals.
- Circulate petitions and get active locally to add your community to the growing list of cities which are demanding honesty from fake clinics. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Educate activists in your community on the deception of CPCs and their connections to clinic violence. Share the FMF YouTube video “Expose Fake Clinics,” or host a screening of the HBO documentary “12th & Delaware.”
- Stage a protest outside of your nearest fake clinic, warning women about the deceptive practices of crisis pregnancy centers. Record and photograph your demonstration – send it to us to post on YouTube and Facebook!
- Get involved with Feminist Campus’ Adopt-A-Clinic campaign to help keep abortion clinics in your community safe from harassment and violence.